In May 2010, Stephen placed an advertisement in the Friday Flyer to see if
there was any interest in forming a triathlon club in Canyon Lake, given that
there wasn't one in or nearby the community. Jeremy, Maribeth, Paul, Tammy
and Tim responded immediately and the first meeting was scheduled; these
"pioneers" became club directors immediately. We couldn't wait
to get started and in fact, we even held our Inaugural
Event before we were officially sanctioned by the POA as a club.
Our underlying principles:
Our vision is to promote a healthy lifestyle through swimming, cycling, running
and other cross training activities.
- Our mission is to help our club members achieve their goals through
free monthly races and frequent, structured group
- Eric Zapata - Public Relations Director
- Lee Schrank - Treasurer
- Carla-Reis Trovillion - Secretary
- Paul David - Vice President
- Stephen P. Bustos - President
- Tim Janes - Race Director
Club history In reverse chronological order (most recent news on top):
- In March 2013, the Club officially launched its new partnership
with Jax Bicycles who is the Club's only cycling sponsor.
- In Feburary 2013, the Club welcomed the Temecula Valley
Triathlon Club (TVTC) as its Sister Triclub. The main goal
was to allow for additional / alternate group practices, increase
the potential for club challenges at Club events and of course, to
help grow mult-sport.
- In June 2012, Carla took over from
Maribeth as the Club's Secretary. Many thanks Maribeth for a
job well done the past two years and welcome aboard Carla!
- In January 2012, Lainie resigned from the
Special Events Committee.
- In November 2011, Jen and Paul A. were nominated and appointed to the Special Events
- In July 2011, the Canyon Lake Fitness- &
Recreation- Committee became part of the Canyon Lake Triathlon Club.
The Fitness Committee holds three events each year i.e. the "Fit Community" 5k
Run/Walk, 10k Run & Kids 1k Fun Run event in January, the "Tour de Canyon Lake"
bike ride in March
and the "Paddle and Pedal Regatta" in August. The latter two
events are free of charge in exchange for a charitable contribution to the
Animal Friends of the Valley and local Cancer Research Association
respectively. The Fit Community event is funded by registered
participants. In order to continue
growing the club organically, a new Public Relations Director position was
also created in July and Eric Zapata was nominated for and
accepted the position..
- In June 2011, a new Special Events Committee was initiated by the
club and Lainie was nominated and appointed to chair the committee. This committee is responsible for organizing club
participation in external events e.g. the Catalina Island Triathlon in November
- The Club began to hold 12 events per year i.e.
Triathlons from March through October and Duathlons from November through
February beginning on the 19th of June, 2010.
- The Canyon Lake Triathlon Club was founded in June 2010.